Looking to make an impact by developing disruptive artificial intelligence technologies? Saab Inc., Autonomous and Undersea Systems division is seeking an innovative Software Engineer to work with our technical teams through our Co-Op program this summer (May-August timeframe). You will be defining, implementing, integrating, verifying, delivering, and maintaining autonomy and artificial intelligence-based capabilities for multi-domain unmanned vehicles, including unmanned underwater vehicles (UUVs), unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), and unmanned surface vessels (USVs). Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Highly collaborative research and development, including the design and development of novel systems with Ph.D.-level subject matter experts and academic researchers.
- General data science practices, including the curation of big data and experience with Python machine learning libraries.
- Algorithm design and software development, in collaboration with members of our technical team.
- Working with a team of engineers to design, implement, unit test, document, and maintain software in multiple programming languages on Linux, Windows, and embedded platforms.
- Apply fundamentals and best practices of software engineering to create innovative solutions and solve challenging problems.
- Support software modeling, simulation, integration, and test activities as needed.
- Present and discuss technical concepts, tradeoffs, analyses, designs, and performance estimates.
- Follow through on full product lifecycle: development, prototyping, integration, verification, delivery, and support as required including operations and at-sea prototyping and testing.
Skills and Experience:
Enrollment in an accredited degree program focused in an Engineering or related discipline.
Completed Sophomore year or greater at time of hire.
Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
Interest in software engineering practices.
Previous projects in software engineering and data science.
Programming language proficiency in Python.Experience developing on Linux (preferred) or Windows OS.
Familiarity with Git or other source control.
Interest in algorithm development, especially artificial intelligence, machine learning, and autonomy algorithms.
Interest in modeling and simulation, classical & modern control skills development.
Interest in working with the military on cutting edge autonomy applications.
Interest in co-development of disruptive new technologies with academia, via both hardware and software prototyping.
Ability to collaborate with a digital and distributed team.
Absolutely MUST have a passion for learning and interest in advancing state-of-the-art technology.
Previous projects in autonomy and AI.
Familiarity with containerization and orchestration technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
Familiarity with Ubuntu.
Experience with unsupervised, supervised, and reinforcement learning applications.
Experience with autoencoders and generative adversarial networks for data augmentation or “deep fake” applications.
Experience with integrating software with sensors such as video cameras.
Experience with unmanned aircraft systems (UAS).
Experience with Unity and/or Unreal game engines, or game development.
Experience with bare-metal embedded processing.
Experience with software/hardware integration.
Familiarity with the design and development of autonomous surface and underwater systems.
Experience creating and giving digital presentations.
Image processing, feature identification, and tracking, including pattern recognition and anomaly detection.
Must be a U.S. citizen. Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Pre-employment Screening Requirements:
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to meet the following criteria: (i) pass a drug screen and (ii) be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (unless granted an accommodation permitted by law and then in compliance with Saab’s requirements related to the accommodation, if any).
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 17,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.