Design Authority (Avionics)
Saab Grintek Defence is a business unit operating within South Africa. The business unit focuses on design, development, integration, testing, documenting and deployment of products for aerospace and defence industries. Through innovative, collaborative and pragmatic thinking, Saab constantly develops, adopts and improves new technology to meet customers’ changing needs.This position is in the Acquisition and Communication Systems (ACS) department .
- Design, develop and maintain competitive (cost and performance) products, integrated in the higher level sub-systems, which meet and exceed the market / end user requirements.
- The Design Authority has the responsibility for technical integrity of aspects of a product and its integration and performance into the sub-system as agreed with the TDA.
- The Design Authority will be responsible for products in the ACS PA’s AviCom and Recording portfolios, as well as other assigned Avionics products.
- Inputs into budgets, quotes, tenders and project plans.
- Product cost – design for optimum cost of a product.
- Identify cost effective tools, systems and services required for the development and ongoing improvement of the product.
- Maintenance of Product Baselines and Documentation for assigned products.
- Adhere to company business management systems, policies, procedures and best practise for design related activities.
- Perform industrialization activities of aspects of sub-systems.
- Perform research, design and development of aspects of sub-systems.
- Perform design activities for effective support to Production, System Integration, Product Management, Project Management, Marketing and others.
- Provide effective design related risk assessment and technical inputs into R&D and customer programmes.
- Assist in leading and developing team members.
- Provide the required support to the Product Area and other groups who interface directly with clients.
- Assist to identify and evaluate vendors as part of the development and industrialisation process
Specialist Knowledge Required:
- Applicable airborne video recording and/or communication systems design knowledge.
Practical Experience Required:
- Minimum 10 years engineering experience, of which at least 5 years applicable product development experience, preferably in the Avionics Domain
- Computer literate – MS Office Suite, DOORS.
- B. Tech or equivalent qualification
If you aspire to help create and innovate whilst developing yourself in a challenging team setting, Saab may well have the perfect conditions for you to grow. We pride ourselves on a nurturing environment, where everyone is different yet we share the same goal – to help protect people.
Saab Grintek Defence in South Africa will give preference to South African citizens and those that advance its employment equity goals and objectives.