ELECTRICAL DESIGN ENGINEER
As a Saab cabling design engineer, you will provide vital contributions to global defence and security. Your work will help to keep people safe in the fields of air, land and naval defence, civil security and commercial aeronautics. You will join our global team of talented, diverse, forward-thinking individuals, which is over 18,000 strong and operates on all continents.
You will become a member of a team supporting our radar and electronic warfare operations, based at our secure site in Fareham. The team is part of our global business area ‘Surveillance’, within the specific business unit of ‘Radar Solutions’, working on sector-leading solutions for surveillance, decision support, and systems used to detect and deter different kinds of threats.
Our product portfolio includes airborne, land-based and marine radar, signal reconnaissance, command and communications, and systems for leading seafaring vessels and air traffic. A quarter of our earnings are invested in societally-important research and development, as we push the boundaries of technological possibilities for human safety.
Our teams are expanding in the UK, and we are asking you to be part of our forward-thinking team in ‘Mechanics and Cabling’. In return, you will receive an attractive benefits package, with world-leading opportunities for growth and development. In building, enhancing, and optimising our technological solutions, you will contribute to our sector-leading innovations.
At Saab we are more interested in ‘who’ you are, rather than ‘what’ you are. We are more interested in where you are ‘going’, rather than where you have ‘been’. You will become a highly valued member of a specialised, motivated, dependable team of engineers and technologists.
You will join our business unit ‘Radar Solutions’, responsible for radar development engineering, helping us to confront challenging problems with cabling design and engineering. The team is headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden, yet routinely works at our secure site in Fareham, UK.
You will be able to show that:
- You are positive, curious, social, results-oriented, and a team player with the ability to commit to collective expectations time, effort, and quality.
- You have at least five years of experience in cabling design engineering, with a vocationally developed interest and background in electronic and / or mechatronic engineering and related fields.
- You are comfortable and confident explaining technical solutions, in your working teams and with diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity, working with culturally and socially diverse teams, negotiating work processes and expected outcomes, and self-starting.
- You can identify and manage unexpected problems in your specialised field, proposing pragmatic and creative solutions with sensitivity to users’ requirements.
- You are open to exploring other disciplines of engineering, technology, and management, with a will to continually develop both professionally and personally.
- You are comfortable working on problems facing the defence and aerospace sector, which will require your discretion and often confidentiality.
- You can promote, embrace, and recognise the contributions of our core values of “Trust, Drive, and Expertise” for our internal and external stakeholders.
- You hold vocational and / or academic qualifications in cabling design engineering with experience in electronics engineering, mechatronics engineering, industrial controls engineering, or similar.
- You will have vocational experience in CAD and CAE (preferably with substantive experience of cabling design in MENTOR, CADENCE and / or CREO, although training will be provided if there is demonstrable experience with related CAD and CAE platforms).
- Fluent English, both written and spoken.
Please note that in your employment with us, you will handle tasks and materials which are sensitive, with restricted access, of a military and commercial nature. Therefore, you must have full UK or Swedish citizenship to be considered. It is essential that you are capable of attaining and retaining UK SC clearance, and preferable that you currently hold UK SC clearance.
JOB AND ROLE DESCRIPTION
Whilst working arrangements are flexible, you will be expected to routinely work at our secure site in Fareham, UK, with regular travel to our headquarters in Sweden. In the initial months of your onboarding with us, you will spend significant time in Gothenburg, Sweden, preparing for your role through initial training and mentoring.
You will routinely carry out the following activities, as an individual, as part of the Mechanics and Cabling team, and in collaboration with other project teams and business units:
- Identifying and interpreting user requirements from the sub system level, to transform them into production instructions for cabling and related engineering aspects.
- Designing and optimising cabling engineering solutions for our land and naval applications, analysing systems requirements for cabling.
- Generating and interpreting cabling designs, modelling using CAD and CAE, to simulate engineering problems and to design workable solutions.
- Interpreting field data for the cabling aspects of products, which often reside in a harsh environment with vibrations, humidity, and high/low temperatures.
- Generating designs and developing creative and innovative solutions to problems with cabling engineering systems, and thereby helping us realise our product vision.
You will conduct designs and design-related aspects of cabling designs, from early studies through to lifecycle management. You will work as a part of a team comprising design engineers, sub system engineers and mechanical team leaders. Your team will be responsible for mechanics and cabling designs for our UK customer’s existing radar systems and updates, as well as new systems.