Saab UK is a British company that is part of Saab Group’s global high-technology operations. Saab offers world-leading solutions and services in defence, aviation, space and civil security. In the UK we bring together the best of Swedish and British innovation and engineering to provide our customers with products and solutions that push boundaries for what is considered technically possible. Our mission is to help our customers to keep people and society safe.
Our Saab UK business is going through a period of rapid growth, this means that we can offer a wide range of opportunities for personal fulfilment and career growth. As part of the global entity Saab AB, Saab UK Ltd combines the innovative spirit of a start-up with the resources and expertise of a larger corporation. Across the country we have seven principle sites which focus on software engineering, underwater robotics, training services and radars. Globally we number over 19,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and we reinvest a high proportion of our earnings in internal research and development. We collaborate with colleagues around the world who all share our challenge – to make the world a safer place.
Saab is a company with opportunities, a company where we see diversity as an asset and where you have both considerable responsibility as well as good opportunities for advancing in your career. Additionally, Saab is a company that respects each person’s needs for a rewarding life beyond work.
What you will become a part of
Business Area Surveillance offers effective solutions for surveillance, decision support and systems used to detect and deter different kinds of threats. The product portfolio includes airborne, land based and marine radar systems, systems for signal reconnaissance, command and communications systems as well as systems for leading seafaring vessels and air traffic. You will be a part of the business unit Radar Solutions, which is responsible for the radar development and more specifically the engineering organization with headquarters in Gothenburg Sweden but based in the Farnborough office. The engineering organization consists of a number of departments where you will belong to the department Command and Control West, which is responsible for the Command and Control ground based air defence systems.
Who are we looking for?
Saab UK is seeking an experienced and highly motivated Head of Engineering to lead the engineering function within the Surveillance Division of our defence company. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing a team of Software, Hardware and Integration engineers and driving the development and delivery of our cutting-edge defence solutions.
- Lead and manage the engineering function to deliver high-quality solutions that meet the needs of our customers
- Develop and implement engineering strategies and plans to support the overall business objectives
- Ensure that all engineering projects are delivered on time, within budget and to the required quality standards
- Execute engineer programme quality, safety and risk management by identifying technical risks and determining associated mitigation actions.
- Ensure that documentation is prepared and maintained during the design process, and that it is complete, accurate and clear during design development and change.
- Manage the resources, budget and schedule for all engineering projects and ensure that they are aligned with business objectives
- Drive innovation and continuous improvement within the engineering function
- Build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including customers, suppliers, and partners
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legal and regulatory requirements
- Manage and mentor the engineering team to develop their skills and capabilities
- Foster a culture of collaboration, excellence, and continuous learning within the engineering team
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Engineering or a related field
- Proven experience in a leadership role within an engineering function, ideally within the defence industry
- Strong technical background and expertise in engineering principles and practices
- Chartered Engineering Status
- Excellent project management skills, with experience managing complex engineering projects
- Experience developing and implementing engineering strategies and plans
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Strong leadership and management skills, with experience managing and mentoring a team of engineers
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team