Manager, Systems Engineering
Saab’s Surveillance U.S. Division in East Syracuse, NY is seeking Systems Engineering Manager to lead a team of Systems Engineers and report to the Director of Technical Operations. The individual that fills this role will collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of functional managers, as well as program management counterparts, to ensure the execution and delivery of a quality end product within cost and schedule targets.
Lead and develop a Systems Engineering team focused on meeting technical, program and business objectives.
- Program resource planning
- Develop on-going staffing capacity and long-term staffing plans
- Recruit staff, as required, to ensure an appropriate mix of technical skills across the systems engineering team and to meet business demand
- Assign appropriate personnel to projects and programs
- Ensure all personnel have established relevant goals and objectives that link directly to the objectives of the business.
- Provide technical oversight, guidance, mentorship and coaching to assigned personnel in the performance of their assigned tasks.
- Manage the annual performance review process, compensation reviews, and career development process.
- Maintain department competencies by creating a training strategy and providing training opportunities for employees to continue their professional development.
Ensure accountability for creation of accurate cost and schedule targets, and execution of technical effort in accordance with those targets.
- Understand and manage resources to Program Manager’s budget and schedule.
- Determine the department or team's strategy for completing a task.
- Responsible for cost estimating activities related to contract proposals, IR&D, Capital, and assigned overhead budgets.
- Ensure the Basis of Estimates (BOEs) and schedules are accurate, appropriate, documented and consistent with overall program objectives.
- Establish cost and schedule targets for team members.
- Monitor and control execution consistent with established technical, cost and schedule objectives.
- Support contract negotiations and fact finding as requested by program management.
Provide credible technical insight and leadership within Systems Engineering.
- Support technology roadmap planning with the Strategic Portfolio Office.
- Develop innovative technical solutions, assess technical risk and identify risk mitigation strategies within assigned discipline(s).
- Work directly with the Test Engineering Functional Manager to ensure that there is a consistent requirement-to-test strategy for each program.
- Support/guide program teams in data gathering to ensure proper requirements sell-off to the customers.
Be a champion for the quality and continuous improvement of technical processes.
- Ensure updates for QMS processes, forms, templates, work instructions and job aids are completed.
- Establish processes and benchmarks for measuring team and process performance.
- Ensure team is accountable for adherence to established processes and continuous improvement objectives.
Skills and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related discipline. Master's degree is a plus.
20+ years of experience in a technical/ engineering environment.
Subject matter expert in the Systems Engineering field.
Ability to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
Ability to provide strategic direction for projects and programs in area of expertise.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills to collaborate across disciplines effectively.
Familiarity with engineering tools such as DOORs, SVN, and PTC Integrity Modeler.
Ability to employ Model Based System Engineering approaches across multiple programs.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to:
Set and articulate goals and build a team around those goals.
Anticipate organizational challenges likely to occur due to the dynamics of the business environment and formulate contingency plans and coping strategies.
Forecast resource requirements (people, money & assets) in order to meet business objectives.
Measure team and process performance through the definition and use of appropriate metrics.
Grow management and technical talent by identifying, crafting and implementing an appropriate development plan.
Establish goals, guidelines and methods to be used within team.
Plan and manage an operating budget for own organization.
Effectively match compensation to performance.
Must be a U.S. citizen. Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, education and employment verification.
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 17,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.