Master Thesis, 30 HP: Flexible and modular payload arrangement study for surface ships
For future surface ships, the requirements for handling different types of roles (Multi-purpose ships) will be increased. This in a time when the number of ships in navy operations most likely will decrease. It is therefore it important that ships can have a multi role, i.e. rapid re-configuration and be flexible depending on the type of mission to be carried out.
Business Area Kockums, department Surface Ships, needs to increase knowledge of how the arrangements for e.g. weapon/cargo decks can be arranged for a flexible and with faster reloading of equipment depending on the operational profile that the ship is to have.
- Search and study of any similar solutions (analysis of other technical solutions).
- Investigate the aspect of sliding bulkheads. (Bulkheads are vertical partition walls which subdivide the ship interior into compartments). Analyse possible fire requirements, tightness requirements etc. and perform preliminary solution studies of this.
- Investigate technical challenges with sliding bulkheads, i.e. cable-, pipe- vent duct and its installations.
- Search and study of reconfigurable floors for moving equipment for example rolling system and suitable handling systems (crane, traverse, etc.).
- Perform a comparison with class DNVGL on the above type of installations.
This Master Thesis is suitable for one or two students with interest in Marine and Mechanical Engineering.
You are at the end of your Master of Science Mechanical Engineering and about to start your Master Thesis work for 30 HP.
What you will be a part of
Department Surface Ships, a part of Saab Kockums R&D organization, develops, integrates and verifies ships as well as performs continuous upgrades and maintenance for Swedish and foreign navies. The different departments within R&D includes disciplines such as naval architecture, structural analysis, arrangement, detailed design, integration of mechanical and electrical systems including sensors and command and control systems, on-board security & IT architecture and several more. If you want to be a part of a cheerful team consisting of proud shipbuilders who are dedicated to find the solutions of tomorrow – please come join us!
For more information about Saab, please visit our homepage saabgroup.com
Last application day
Joakim Hill, Manager Arrangement Surface ships +46 73 4342757, email@example.com
If you aspire to help create and innovate whilst developing yourself in a challenging team setting, Saab may well have the perfect conditions for you to grow. We pride ourselves on a nurturing environment, where everyone is different yet we share the same goal – to help protect people.