Saab Inc., Autonomous and Undersea Systems division is seeking innovative and experienced Mechanical Engineers to work on pressure vessels, electro-mechanical assemblies, propulsion, and mechanical analyses for autonomous Unmanned Surface/Underwater Vehicles (aUSVs/aUUVs, AUVs) and Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs). This position will sit in our Quincy, MA facility.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Conceive, develop, and analyze, mechanical components, assemblies, and systems
· Apply fundamentals of mechanical engineering to create innovative solutions.
· Present and discuss technical concepts, tradeoffs, analyses, designs, and performance estimates.
· Interface with Systems Engineering and other disciplines to develop/define/implement customer requirements.
· Follow through on full product lifecycle: development, prototyping, integration, verification, delivery, and support as required including operations and sea-testing.
· Incorporate best practices for mechanical engineering and Design for Cost & Manufacturability.
· Identify, manage, and solve problems associated with mechanical engineering work products.
· Apply experience and knowledge to resolve design, supplier quality, manufacturing, and field issues.
· Create and modify assembly drawings, vendor item control drawings, connection diagrams, and Bills of Materials (BOMs) for an entire system including electronics.
· Follow company standard operating procedures and Quality System requirements.
· Plan, organize, and estimate required effort for responsible tasks, including possibly writing Basis of Estimates (BOEs).
· Work within a team environment to achieve goals.
· Support mentoring and engineering staff development.
Compensation Range: $91,000-$113,800
The compensation range provided is a general guideline. When extending an offer, Saab, Inc. considers factors including (but not limited to) the role and associated responsibilities, location, and market and business considerations, as well as the candidate's work experience, key skills, and education/training.
Skills and Experience:
Skills And Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related engineering discipline required, Master’s degree is a plus.
· 3+ years of relevant experience in mechanical design with broad application and a fundamental understanding of the product development life cycle.
· Fundamental understanding of industry accepted design methods and practices, including design spaces/tradeoffs, test data analysis, and requirement/specification change processes.
· Strong engineering aptitude and good problem-solving skills.
· Demonstrated ability to resolve issues during design, development and execution of mechanical engineering activities.
· Experience using SolidWorks, AutoCad, Creo, Ansys, MS Office ( Excel, Word, Visio, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc. (Project is a plus)) to create drawings, documents, work products, and presentations.
· Ability to update and review mechanical drawings for proper geometric dimension tolerancing (GD&T), accuracy, and completeness.
· Strong written and verbal interpersonal and communication skills.
· Proven contributor on project teams to accomplish objectives.
· Effective contributor in a team environment, providing technical leadership where applicable.
· Ability to work independently to achieve technical and program requirements.
· Ability to work with other engineering disciplines to contribute to a collaborative development environment.
· Must hold or be able to obtain U.S. DoD SECRET security clearance.
· Ability to travel up to 25%, both international and domestic.
· Prior experience with DoD or with U.S. government customers is highly desirable.
· Experience developing hardware for Naval and Marine applications.
· Familiarity with Military Standards, ruggedized equipment design, and environmental test requirements.
· Knowledge of materials and corrosion control.
· Familiarity with the design and development of autonomous surface and underwater systems.
· Experience modeling and designing thermal management solutions through conduction, convection, and radiation using industry standard practices including thermal piping.
Must be a U.S. citizen. Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Saab is a federal government contractor and adheres to policies and programs necessary for sustaining drug-free workplaces. As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment drug screen.
Saab provides an excellent working environment offering professional growth opportunities, competitive wages, work-life balance, business-casual atmosphere and comprehensive benefits:
Medical, vision and dental insurance for employees and dependents
Paid time off including: minimum of 3 weeks vacation, 5 floating holidays, 8 designated holidays, parental leave, personal illness, bereavement, jury duty, long-term and short-term disability
401(k) with immediate vesting on employer match
Student loan assistance
Wellness account, Care.com subscription and employee assistance programs
Employee stock purchase program with employer match
Saab is a leading defense and security company with an enduring mission, to help nations keep their people and society safe. Empowered by its 19,000 talented people, Saab constantly pushes the boundaries of technology to create a safer, more sustainable and more equitable world. In the U.S., Saab delivers advanced technology and systems, supporting the U.S. Armed Forces and the Federal Aviation Administration, as well as international and commercial partners. Headquartered in Syracuse, New York, the company has business units and local employees in eight U.S. locations.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.