Our Saab UK business is going through a period of rapid growth, this means that we can offer a wide range of opportunities for personal fulfilment and career growth. As part of the global entity Saab AB, Saab UK Ltd combines the innovative spirit of a start-up with the resources and expertise of a larger corporation. Across the country we have seven principal sites which focus on software engineering, underwater robotics, training services and radars. Globally we number over 19,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and we reinvest a high proportion of our earnings in internal research and development. We collaborate with colleagues around the world who all share our challenge – to make the world a safer place.
Saab is a company with opportunities, a company where we see diversity as an asset and where you have both considerable responsibility as well as good opportunities for advancing in your career. Additionally, Saab is a company that respects each person’s needs for a rewarding life beyond work.
What you will be a part of
You will be a part of Saab’s Public Safety Solutions business unit where we develop and deploy Command, Control and Communication software solutions used by police forces, ambulance services, fire and rescue services, airports and public transport agencies. Our software applications help these organisations to manage critical incidents, respond to people in distress and ultimately help make people and society safer.
We develop market leading software solutions which are critical for our customer’s operations, so the focus is on configurability, functionality, performance and reliability. We work closely with our customers and are driven by a strong end-user focus. We adopt an Agile methodology and we aim to constantly develop and work with the latest technology.
Our solutions use up-to-date technology and for the right person Saab’s Public Safety Solutions team offers enormous opportunities to work with stimulating and challenging work, alongside highly skilled and dedicated co-workers.
A Product Owner works closely with the development team using agile methodologies to create and maintain the product backlog.
They will work closely with stakeholders across the business and leaders from engineering and product management to provide vision and direction for product development and implementations.
- Liaise with product management to ensure development activities are in line with product roadmap and strategic vision
- Manage dependencies between product development and implementation teams
- Help inform the sequence of development for large implementations
- Support the bid process and pre sales colleagues
- Prioritisation of the product backlog
- Help translate formal documented requirements into actionable work packages
- Coordinate and improve the estimation process
- Share information on progress with stakeholders when needed
- Share domain knowledge with the development team and use to inform development activities
- Ensure traceability between requirements and specifications and Jira tickets
- Create a shared vision and set of goals with the development team in order to motivate and direct
- Work closely with head of engineering, other product owners and business analysts to encourage knowledge sharing, efficiency and collaboration amongst teams
- To encourage process improvement and efficiency across the engineering function
- 3-5 years of experience of operating within emergency services domain
- Experience of working with software development teams and of SDLC
- Commercial awareness
- Product owner qualifications/certifications
- Some technical skills and awareness of technical concepts
- Experience of working with tools such as JIRA or similar
- Proven experience of balancing multiple priorities and ambiguity
- Demonstrable track record in managing Stakeholders
This role would suit someone with a background in the software development industry and with domain knowledge of the emergency services.
The candidate should enjoy working with development teams, and be confident demonstrating to users and presenting to stakeholders at all levels. The right person should thrive working cross functionally across PSS and client organisations.
The candidate should be highly organised and be confident using and suggesting a variety of tools for managing the backlog and creating clarity with high volumes of requirements. They should take pleasure in bringing order and simplicity to complex scenarios.