At Saab in West Lafayette, Indiana, you have the opportunity to join a team that will manufacture the rear section of the T-7A Red Hawk military trainer aircraft for the United States Air Force. When at full capacity by 2027, Saab will employ over 300 employees in the West Lafayette facility in management, administration, and manufacturing. Saab provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
As Saab continues to staff a new operation in West Lafayette, IN, we are seeking a Quality Technician to help develop a world-class quality process.
Responsibilities will include:
- Contribute to hands-on, cross-functional problem-solving in a wide range of Quality Engineering support activities
- Develop strong working knowledge of the quality requirements as defined by customer/industry standards
- Support process development/problem-solving by integrating quality policy into procedures and initiating continual process improvement
- Support to Quality Management System principles and processes:
- Monitor the assembly cycle and perform regular tests/inspections to identify potential non-conformances as early as possible
- Monitor and analyze product failure risk while preparing risk mitigation plans with root cause analysis and systemic problem solving
- Support AS9102 first article and source inspections
- Identify Quality Clauses for purchased product
- Perform internal audits to ensure process maturity and capability while ensuring compliance
- Develop effective controls/solutions to provide high quality products to customers within schedule
- Manage production tools and measurement equipment to ensure appropriate tools are calibrated and available to production when needed
- Maintain tool register and manage tool calibrations and repairs as needed
- Be focal point for internal and external calibrations, collaborating with suppliers for assigned measuring equipment, according to applicable measuring equipment register
- Create a well-balanced schedule for steady and routine calibration management (as to avoid large waves of calibration work), managing non-conformity as needed
Skills and Experience:
- High school degree or equivalent required
- 1-2 years of relevant experience, with previous quality auditing experience required
- Experience in the aerospace industry a plus
- Technical degree or certification in the field of aviation assembly, mechanics, or maintenance is preferred
- Certified Calibration Tech and/or Certified Quality Tech certifications a plus
- Working knowledge of GD&T a plus
- Hands-on experience with ISO9001/AS9100 or IATF16949 Quality Management Systems, testing and inspection methodologies
- Experience and/or certificate in IPC-610, IPC-620, J-Standards a plus
- Ability to work with technical product/process requirements associated with electro-mechanical assembly
- Ability to interpret and revise relevant documentation, and read blueprints
- Ability to multi-task, be self-driven, and drive change with a positive and productive approach
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills; capable in interactions with teammates, suppliers, and customers
- Willing to travel
- Must be self-mobile and able to stand for extended periods
- Ability to perform physical tasks such as sitting, bending, stooping, walking, climbing, reaching repeatedly during a normal workday
- Ability to perform repetitive motions (such as lifting or assembly of parts) including the use of handheld power tools
- Ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds occasionally
- Hearing and vision within normal ranges is important receive ordinary information and directives from Production Supervisors and management as required
- Ability to work extended hours when required
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
Pre-employment Screening Requirements:
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to meet the following criteria: (i) pass a drug screen and (ii) be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (unless granted an accommodation permitted by law and then in compliance with Saab’s requirements related to the accommodation, if any).
Saab provides an excellent working environment offering professional growth opportunities, competitive wages, work-life balance, business-casual atmosphere and comprehensive benefits:
Medical, vision and dental insurance for employees and dependents
Paid time off including: minimum of 3 weeks vacation, 5 floating holidays, 8 designated holidays, 3 weeks personal illness, bereavement, jury duty and disability
401(k) with immediate vesting on employer match
Employee assistance programs
Employee stock purchase program with employer match
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 17,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.