As part of our Maritime group, the Research and Development (R&D) Lead will work with the R&D Council and R&D Project Manager to establish, manage and triage an R&D pipeline to deliver significant R&D outcomes for the Maritime group.
Further, the successful candidate will:
- Develop and maintain a Maritime R&D roadmap with Horizon 1 (1-3 years), 2 (3-5 years) and 3 (5-10 years) goals, informed by the Saab Australia Strategy and Maritime Combat System (CS) Roadmap and aligned with the Enterprise Partnering Agreement (EPA) Capability Plan and Saab AB R&D roadmap
- Define the Maritime R&D policies and procedures that will support the management and execution of the R&D pipeline
- Work with the R&D Project Manager to scope, cost, schedule, manage execution of and report on R&D activities.
- Provide technical direction on all R&D tasks within the delegation limits defined by the R&D Council.
- Achieve R&D outcomes in support of the strategic priorities provided by the R&D Council
- Establish and manage an internal framework that fosters innovation amongst Maritime personnel through training, the solicitation of R&D ideas and opportunities to participate in R&D activities
Flexible work arrangements such as hybrid work from home / office and 9 day fortnight will be considered for this role.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Tertiary qualifications in an engineering, science or other technical discipline
- At least 5 years’ experience in technical leadership in an Australian Defence environment
- At least 5 years’ experience in working in an R&D environment
- Demonstrated ability to translate customer capability requirements into activities with defined outcomes
- Demonstrated understanding of the transition of R&D outcomes into a system/product development lifecycle
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to develop creative and innovative solutions
As Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain an NV1 clearance.
Saab Australia is a defence, security and cyber solutions provider, specialising in the development and integration of major defence and security systems. For over 30 years in Australia, we have built a reputation for delivering complex systems integration projects that provide proven and advanced capabilities to keep us ahead of today’s challenges.
From combat, communications, security and underwater systems, to mixed reality, cyber security and deployable health solutions, our extensive portfolio of products and services provide high-technology solutions for defence forces and civil industries across the globe.
Apply today to join our crew and deliver solutions with purpose.
Culture and benefits
We employ over 900 Australians and are committed to fostering a culture of excellence and enriching the employee experience.
By joining Saab, you’ll be a part of a collaborative and supportive organisation, where your professional growth and work-life balance are emphasised. You’ll work within an innovative and vibrant workplace, while having the opportunity to develop a long-term, fulfilling career.
As a valued team member of Saab Australia, you’ll access a variety of perks and benefits to support you and your family including:
- 6 weeks paid leave each year
- 13% Superannuation
- Free Income Protection Insurance
- Flexible working options
- Access to the Saab shares matching scheme
- Access to MySaab; our online store offering everything from cash back at hundreds of stores to discounts from exclusive partners
For further information about a career at Saab, visit the page adjacent: https://www.saab.com/markets/australia/careers/saab-life
Click ‘Apply’ to submit your CV and cover letter in support of your application. You may contact our careers team at email@example.com for a copy of the full position description. Kindly observe that this is an ongoing recruitment process and in exceptional circumstances, the position might be filled before the closing date of the advertisement. We encourage applications as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
By submitting an application to Saab, you consent to undertaking workforce screening activities including, but not limited to: reference checks, Australian Federal Police check, verification of working rights and qualifications, sanctions screening and a pre-employment medical declaration.
Saab Australia is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders to apply. We also welcome applications from individuals with culturally diverse backgrounds.
Saab Australia is a proud supporter of the Veterans’ Employment Program and welcomes the interest of ex-service members, veterans and their families.