Senior Import/Export Analyst
Saab, Inc. is seeking a dynamic, proactive Senior Imports and Classifications Analyst to join its growing company and report directly to the Director of Trade Compliance. Saab, Inc. is headquartered in East Syracuse, NY but remote options may be considered.
• Engage regularly with business functions to understand and identify transactional issues and needs. Clearly present options to enable decision-making, and implement effective solutions supporting Saab’s operations.
• Review product descriptions, technical parameters, control lists and other resources to establish licensing jurisdiction, product classification codes, HTS and Schedule B codes, country of origin and other correlated information for hardware, data, and services for both imports and exports. Determine and validate internal information as well as information received from external parties.
• Work with business functions to facilitate logistics and shipping activities for efficient and compliant transactions. Communicate with Saab’s international affiliates, and other foreign and U.S. entities to coordinate imports into and exports from the U.S.
• Review documentation for inbound and outbound shipments to confirm correctness and compliance pre- and post-transactions. Analyze discrepancies and risk areas, and implement corrective actions.
• Manage trade certificates for duty-free entries, drawbacks, carnets, customs bonds, powers of attorney, adjustments, ACE filings, payments for duties and tariffs, special instructions, and other similar matters.
• Liaise with customs brokers, freight forwarders, and CBP to ensure transactions are accomplished compliantly and efficiently. Monitor and track transactions, and resolve issues to mitigate against delays and potential ramifications.
• Monitor activities and complete regulatory requirements to ensure compliance. Maintain correct records in accordance with regulatory requirements.
• Develop, maintain and update internal policies, procedures, and support tools. Identify improvements to existing processes and formulate new methods for efficiencies.
• Conduct training within Saab and its affiliates on import requirements, policies, trends, compliance actions, other topics of importance, and areas of specific interest to the organization.
• Provide support on export matters supporting Saab’s operations.
• Perform reviews, assessments, audits and investigations.
• Remain current on functional policies, requirements, changes, and trends.
• Undertake and assist with other trade compliance activities at the direction of the Director of Trade Compliance.
Skills and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline
• 5+ years of experience with customs management, logistics, shipping, import/export licensing and compliance, and/or related trade fields. Consideration may be given for other education, specific work experience related to need areas, etc. Licensed Customs broker an advantage.
• Demonstrated working knowledge of Customs regulations, FTR, EAR, ITAR, and INCOTERMS. Familiarity with the NISPOM.
• Strong communication skills with the ability to clearly explain issues and requirements
• Excellent organizational skills to perform and handle multiple substantive and administrative activities concurrently.
• Ability to work with foreign persons and appreciate cultural differences.
• Availability to travel.
• Motivation to learn and improve.
Must be a U.S. citizen, Permanent Resident (green card holder), or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
Pre-employment Screening Requirements:
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to meet the following criteria: (i) pass a drug screen, (ii) complete a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, and education and employment verification, and (iii) be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (unless granted an accommodation permitted by law and then in compliance with Saab’s requirements related to the accommodation, if any).
Saab provides an excellent working environment offering professional growth opportunities, competitive wages, work-life balance, business-casual atmosphere and comprehensive benefits:
Medical, vision and dental insurance for employees and dependents
Paid time off including: minimum of 3 weeks vacation, 5 floating holidays, 8 designated holidays, 3 weeks personal illness, bereavement, jury duty and disability
401(k) with immediate vesting on employer match
Employee assistance programs
Employee stock purchase program with employer match
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 17,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.