Looking to make an impact by developing disruptive artificial intelligence technologies? Saab Inc., Autonomous and Undersea Systems division is seeking an innovative Senior Machine Learning Software Engineer to develop machine learning software & perform integration with hardware systems. Moreover, you will guide others on technical teams through defining, architecting, implementing, integrating, verifying, delivering, and maintaining autonomy and artificial intelligence-based capabilities for multi-domain unmanned vehicles, including unmanned underwater vehicles (UUVs), unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), and unmanned surface vessels (USVs). Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Highly collaborative research and development, including the design and development of novel systems with Ph.D.-level subject matter experts and academic researchers.
- Defining algorithms and implementing code 75% of your time, primarily in Python. Mentoring others and reviewing code from university partners with the majority of the remainder of your time.
- General data science practices, including the curation of big data and experience with Python machine learning libraries.
- Algorithm design and software development, in collaboration with academic researchers and government stakeholders.
- Software integration, architecture design, and demonstrations with military-relevant hardware prototypes.
- Working with a team of engineers to design, implement, unit test, document, and maintain software in multiple programming languages on Linux, Windows, and embedded platforms.
- Work closely with academia, government and small business teammates to design and develop innovative prototypes.
- Apply fundamentals and best practices of software engineering to create innovative solutions and solve challenging problems.
- Support software modeling, simulation, integration, and test activities as needed.
- Present and discuss technical concepts, tradeoffs, analyses, designs, and performance estimates.
- Follow through on full product lifecycle: development, prototyping, integration, verification, delivery, and support as required including operations and at-sea prototyping and testing.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
Skills and Experience:
- BS or MS in Software Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Data Science or related discipline.
- 4+ years of relevant experience in research and development or software development, possibly inclusive of academic and internship experience depending on the relevance of the research areas.
- Must hold or be able to obtain U.S. DoD SECRET security clearance and be a U.S. Citizen.
- Interest in algorithm development, especially artificial intelligence, machine learning, and autonomy algorithms. Interest in or experience with automatic target recognition, explainable artificial intelligence, federated learning and data fusion, tracking, and sensor resource management autonomy algorithms.
- Programming language proficiency [at a minimum] in Python; familiarity with C/C++ and shell scripting.
- Experience of machine learning software implementation using TensorFlow, Pytorch, Keras, or other machine learning libraries. Experience with implementation of unsupervised, supervised, and/or reinforcement learning approaches.
- Familiarity with Git, JIRA, and general agile development & DevSecOps workflows.
- Ability to develop within publish-subscribe service-oriented architectures.
- Experience with or interest in software scalability, including containerization and working with big data.
- Ability to work independently to achieve technical and program requirements with minimal supervision, including the ability to lead others remotely and co-develop with other remote colleagues. Interest and comfort working in a hybrid/remote environment; responsibility to manage time and prioritize tasks efficiently.
- Ability to travel and work closely with university professors and students, including but not limited to Purdue University.
- Interest in co-development of disruptive new technologies with academia, via both hardware and software prototyping.
- Interest in the radio frequency (RF) domain and cognitive RF technology.
- Interest in modeling and simulation, classical & modern control skills development.
- Interest in working with the military and supporting live demonstrations at military installations.
- Ability and willingness to support all phases of programs from concept development through final delivery is required; this will sometimes include on-site travel.
- Ability to travel up to 10% of your time, both international and domestic.
- Absolutely MUST have a passion for learning and interest in advancing state-of-the-art technology.
Extras: No candidate is expected to have all of these “extras”, but if you have some, this position may be an especially exciting fit for you.
- Master’s Degree or Ph.D. in Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering (Control Systems), Applied Mathematics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Data Science or related discipline with Master’s or higher research experience in applied machine learning.
- Prior experience with DoD or with U.S. government customers.
- Experience with maritime systems development, including autonomous surface and underwater systems.
- Experience with unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and Counter-UAS systems.
- Experience with EO/IR, passive and active radar integration and more generally software/hardware integration.
- Experience with in-field testing and validation of systems.
- Basic understanding of Digital Signal Processing Concepts.
- Experience or passion in edge processing and working with embedded systems.
- Experience with TensorFlow Lite or PyTorch Mobile.
- Experience with autoencoders and generative adversarial networks for data augmentation or “deep fake” applications.
- Image processing, feature identification, and tracking, including pattern recognition, automatic target recognition, and anomaly detection.
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art game theory and optimization techniques.
- Familiarity with Koopman Operator Theory, implementation, and applications.
- Familiarity with the Go programming language. Experience with gRPC and micro-service-based architectures.
- Proven GPU programming experience & debugging.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) or other cloud-based architecture experience.
- Experience with DevSecOps, MLOps, CI/CD systems, and associated development philosophies.
- Experience with ROS, ROS2, ROS-M, Gazebo, Unity and/or Unreal simulations, or game development. Familiarity with the MOOS-IvP maritime autonomy architecture.
- Interest in learning through graduate research, conference presentations, publication reviews, and participation in mentorship opportunities.
Must be a U.S. citizen. Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Saab is a federal government contractor and adheres to policies and programs necessary for sustaining drug-free workplaces. As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment drug screen.
Saab provides an excellent working environment offering professional growth opportunities, competitive wages, work-life balance, business-casual atmosphere and comprehensive benefits:
Medical, vision and dental insurance for employees and dependents
Paid time off including: minimum of 3 weeks vacation, 5 floating holidays, 8 designated holidays, parental leave, personal illness, bereavement, jury duty, long-term and short-term disability
401(k) with immediate vesting on employer match
Student loan assistance
Wellness account, Care.com subscription and employee assistance programs
Employee stock purchase program with employer match
Saab is a leading defense and security company with an enduring mission, to help nations keep their people and society safe. Empowered by its 18,000 talented people, Saab constantly pushes the boundaries of technology to create a safer, more sustainable and more equitable world. In the U.S., Saab delivers advanced technology and systems, supporting the U.S. Armed Forces and the Federal Aviation Administration, as well as international and commercial partners. Headquartered in Syracuse, New York, the company has business units and local employees in seven U.S. locations.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.