Saab Australia is a defence, security and cyber solutions provider, specialising in the development and integration of major defence and security systems. For over 30 years in Australia, we have built a reputation for delivering complex systems integration projects that provide proven and advanced capabilities to keep us ahead of today’s challenges.
From combat, communications, security and underwater systems, to mixed reality, cyber security and deployable health solutions, our extensive portfolio of products and services provide high-technology solutions for defence forces and civil industries across the globe.
Apply today to join our crew and deliver solutions with purpose.
As part of our Maritime group, the Technical Writer – Team Lead is responsible for managing a team of Technical Writers to develop a range of technical documentation.
Further, the successful candidate will:
- Support the establishment of an S1000D capability, associated toolsets and team training
- Provide support to the ILS Manager to coordinate resources and allocate tasks to the Technical Writer team
- Provide technical oversight/review of operator, maintainer and equipment manuals produced by the team prior to final delivery to the end customer
- Be responsible for the development of performance goals and training needs for allocated staff and monitor achievement
- Be familiar with best practice and trends in technical writing and in particular as implemented in the defence industry, and introduce and manage change as required
- Comply with legislation and Company policies, processes and instructions, including those relating to non-discrimination, safety and duty of care and the quality management system
- Provide a face-to-face interface with team members on all issues relating to the production of technical documentation/publications
Flexible work arrangements such as hybrid work from home / office, 9 day fortnight and part time (0.8 FTE minimum) will be considered for this role.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Minimum 8 years’ industry experience, within a quality framework, in an engineering environment
- Preferred experience in the establishment of a S1000D capability
- Extensive experience in developing technical and operator manuals for software intensive systems
- Experience in managing and leading a team of Technical Writers in the development of operator, maintainer and equipment manuals to a very high standard within budget and on schedule
- Experience in providing guidance, technical oversight, training and one-on-one mentoring to team members to achieve set tasks and goals
- Be able to liaise with Project Management to determine suitable Technical Writer resource to address programmatic requirements and provide support to manage the impact of any changes to project schedules and costs
- Be able to support the development and provide input to tender responses and estimates for the Technical Writer effort
- Understand software development activities and the relationship between software development outputs and technical publication development
- A good understanding of LSA tasks and the relationship between LSA outputs and technical publication development
As Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain an NV1 clearance.
Culture and benefits
We employ over 700 Australians and are committed to fostering a culture of excellence and enriching the employee experience.
By joining Saab, you’ll be a part of a collaborative and supportive organisation, where your professional growth and work-life balance are emphasised. You’ll work within an innovative and vibrant workplace, while having the opportunity to develop a long-term, fulfilling career.
For further information about at career at Saab, visit the page adjacent: https://www.saab.com/markets/australia/careers/saab-life
Click ‘Apply’ to submit your CV and cover letter in support of your application. You may contact our careers team at firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the full position description. Kindly observe that this is an ongoing recruitment process and in exceptional circumstances, the position might be filled before the closing date of the advertisement. We encourage applications as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Saab Australia is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders to apply. We also welcome applications from individuals with culturally diverse backgrounds.
Saab Australia is a proud supporter of the Veterans’ Employment Program and welcomes the interest of ex-service members, veterans and their families.