T-7A – transitioning into the next phase
Saab and Boeing have jointly developed the next generation trainer-jet for the U.S. Air Force, the T-7A.
A Boeing-Saab partnership
- Saab won contract together with Boeing in 2018.
- Design, development and production of T-7A, the U.S. Air Force’s new advanced pilot trainer aircraft.
- Boeing awarded contract for 351 aircraft with a value of USD 9.2 billion.
- Saab’s production share is the fully installed aircraft aft fuselage including associated sub systems.
- Business case supporting business area Aeronautics’ long term margins.
EMD phase and ongoing series production transitioning to Saab’s facility in West Lafayette
- In 2022, Saab completed its deliveries in the EMD phase with five fully installed aircraft aft fuselages.
- EMD focus forward will be flight test activities to verify and validate aft fuselage design.
- Assemblers and engineers from West Lafayette in Sweden for training.
- Production of aft fuselages is transferring from Sweden to the United States.
Creating Capability for U.S. growth with the new production facility
- 110 employees hired and working in West
Lafayette with more on the way.
- Aircraft aft production has begun via contract
order from Boeing.
- Factory utilising best practices in industry 4.0