Purpose of the Position
The Financial Controller has financial site responsibilities for all offices in Canada. The Financial Controller will be a self-starter with the ability to handle multiple job responsibilities, set priorities, problem solve and work with all levels of staff while appreciating the responsibility of meeting tight and conflicting deadlines.
The Financial Controller will perform general accounting, finance operations, and control our financial transactions. The role includes reconciling account balances and bank statements, maintaining the general ledger, preparing month end close procedures and ensuring accuracy and effectiveness in the company’s accounting and finance tasks.
Internal / Purpose
Business function coordination, Finance and accounting team coordination, prepare and produce finance / accountings plan.
External / Purpose
Payroll providers, banks and financial institutions, vendors, partners.
- Responsible for the performance and overall health of the accounting department for Saab Canada, Inc.
- Supervise and responsible for the performance, and development of 1 direct report (Accounting Assistant).
- Review and interpret financial reporting requirements, rules and regulations.
- Balance books and prepare profit and loss, cash flow, income and balance sheet statements.
- Responsible for the processes and procedures that capture, track and report revenue, including deferred revenue, in accordance with the company revenue recognition policy.
- Interpret reports and records for managers / stakeholders.
- Review, track and maintain billing information in the financial systems, ensuring accuracy and compliance with accounting regulations.
- Monitor and develop monthly reports of revenues and expenditures for projects.
- Provide record of assets, liabilities and other financial transactions.
- Responsible for accounting and ERP systems: Journal entries, General Ledger, Accounts Receivables, Accounts Payable, Purchase Orders, Income Statements, Balance Sheets, Revenue Reconciliation, etc.
- Generate financial reports for internal and/or external use.
- Create intercompany reporting.
- Prepare and perform corporate tax activities, support external auditors on year-end allocations and tax return preparation.
- Process and perform payroll for Canadian offices.
- Review Canadian government census, Survey forms (Statistics Canada).
- Perform Monthly and Quarterly HST/GST filings.
- Review and conduct BEPS reporting (other IFRS requirements).
- Perform cash and operational forecasting and budgeting for Canadian offices.
- Bank Software, ACH, and Wire transfers.
- Review Bank reconciliations, Monthly Tax Deposits, lease and amortization schedules.
- Assist with annual tax reporting with external accounting firm.
- Foreign currency adjustments.
- Collaborate with other Saab stakeholders.
- Follow existing Saab policies and directives.
- Create policies in alignment with the accounting and finance department as needed.
- Other tasks within the Country Office as deemed relevant from time to time.
- CPA designation mandatory, Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or equivalent.
- 5 + years’ relevant experience within the accounting profession.
- Previous personnel management with direct reports is preferred.
- Experience working with government contracts.
- Experience working in a multicultural, diverse environment, international financial context would be an asset.
- Must be results oriented, with a service mind-set and solutions driven approach.
- Expert knowledge in accounting, corporate tax, forecasting, and/or budgeting.
- Experience with Canadian payroll and gross ups.
- Must have strong Canadian tax knowledge.
- Must have strong knowledge and the ability to research, understand and apply applicable Canadian and provincial financial practices / standards.
- Excellent computer skills with superior knowledge in Excel and other Microsoft Office programs.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, especially during time sensitive situations such as period ends, budget and audit preparation periods.
- Exceptional time management, project planning, and communication skills, both verbal & written.
- Attention to detail and conscientious.
- Must have project planning, and excellent communication skills both verbal & written.
- Must be able to travel to our different Canadian sites on a semi-annual bases.
- Must be legally able to work in Canada.
Saab is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. All suitably qualified applicants will be contacted on the basis of objective criteria and ensures nondiscrimination in all activities in accordance with relevant legislation. If you would like to request accommodation, please notify Human Resources or the Hiring Manager. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No agency calls, please.