Head of Discipline - Systems Engineering
At Saab Australia, we’re pioneering Australia’s capability to defend and protect itself with the ongoing development of advanced defence and security technologies. We develop everything from combat, communications and security systems, to mixed reality and cyber security solutions. Over 30 years, we’ve built a proud reputation of driving solutions that keep us ahead of today’s complex challenges and are now seeking our employees of tomorrow to join our thinking edge, as we head toward our next innovative chapter.
Apply today to join our crew and deliver solutions with purpose.
As part of our Chief Engineer Group, the Head of Discipline – Systems Engineering will play a key role in driving outstanding outcomes regarding people, processes and practice as they relate to the systems engineering discipline.
Further, the successful candidate will:
- Support the Chief Engineer (CE) in ensuring adherence to Saab Australia’s Engineering Policy and work as part of a team (including the CE and other Heads of Discipline) to ensure the engineering capability is fit for purpose
- Assist in the recruitment, development, placement and succession planning of staff within the discipline area to satisfy required competencies
- Define and maintain the core process and methods for application within the systems engineering discipline and provide guidance on the application and tailoring by projects
- Work closely with the business areas and the Systems Engineering community to provide value adding ‘consultant’ services to projects where there are issues or discipline support and guidance is required
- Provide governance over the application of discipline related activities including reviewing and approving discipline related plans and process assets for use in projects, tenders and other business activities
- Lead the improvement of system engineering capability in the company by determining how the strategic business direction influences the company future needs in the disciplines
Your skills and experience will include:
- Tertiary engineering or related qualifications and on the job experience supporting eligibility for CPEng
- Broad based, high level expertise within the systems engineering discipline with significant experience across the full systems engineering lifecycle
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to influence, develop and promote change
- Excellent teaming skills to allow the proactive engagement and collaboration required to fulfil the role
- Demonstrable gravitas, drive and enthusiasm to engage and support a large community of systems engineers
- Experience in large scale projects involving multi-disciplinary engineering teams and execution of discipline related activities
- Strong business acumen developed within a complex engineering operating environment
As Defence security clearance is required for this role, applicants must be Australian citizens and eligible to obtain and maintain appropriate clearance.
Culture and benefits
We now employ over 500 Australians and are committed to fostering a culture of excellence and enriching the employee experience. We offer a fresh and vibrant workplace, with a focus on continuous learning, collaboration and knowledge sharing. By joining Saab, you’ll experience an open minded and supportive organisation, where your health, well-being and work-life balance are emphasised and you’ll have the opportunity to develop a long term career.
For further information on our offering, you may visit the page adjacent: https://www.saab.com/markets/australia/careers/saab-life
Click ‘Apply’ to submit your CV and cover letter in support of your application. You may contact our careers team at firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the full position description.
Saab Australia is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders to apply. We also welcome applications from individuals with culturally diverse backgrounds.
Saab Australia is a proud supporter of the Veterans’ Employment Program and welcomes the interest of ex-service members, veterans and their families.