Saab UK is a British company that is part of Saab Group’s global high-technology operations. Saab offers world-leading solutions and services in defence, aviation, space and civil security. In the UK we bring together the best of Swedish and British innovation and engineering to provide our customers with products and solutions that push boundaries for what is considered technically possible. Our mission is to help our customers to keep people and society safe.
Our Saab UK business is going through a period of rapid growth, this means that we can offer a wide range of opportunities for personal fulfilment and career growth. As part of the global entity Saab AB, Saab UK Ltd combines the innovative spirit of a start-up with the resources and expertise of a larger corporation. Across the country we have seven principle sites which focus on software engineering, underwater robotics, training services and radars. Globally we number over 19,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and we reinvest a high proportion of our earnings in internal research and development. We collaborate with colleagues around the world who all share our challenge – to make the world a safer place.
Saab is a company with opportunities, a company where we see diversity as an asset and where you have both considerable responsibility as well as good opportunities for advancing in your career. Additionally, Saab is a company that respects each person’s needs for a rewarding life beyond work.
Following planned expansion, the Integrated Logistic Support (ILS) Training team within the Saab business unit Surface Sensor Solutions needs a new UK-based colleague. The team is responsible for operator training as well as technically advanced maintenance training, and your speciality could be one of the two, or both.
The ILS section develops and delivers solutions for handling and maintaining our radar systems – we support the design, and design the support. Customer training and user manuals are two important pieces of this puzzle. Within ILS therefore, the Training team is responsible for planning and executing training both at our site in Gothenburg and at the Customers’ sites, using simulators as well as live systems.
Across the team we manage global training for radar systems in land-based and maritime applications; this role is to reinforce our UK presence but will work further afield at times. Apart from creating and maintaining the necessary educational material for the courses, you would also be involved in the compilation of user manuals.
As a trainer, you are required to work with the Customers’ needs at heart, in an environment where cooperation and problem solving are necessary traits. You thrive in big groups, and easily maintain a large professional network. You are perceptive and flexible, but have integrity, and always act with Saab’s best interest in mind.
You are expected to have a genuine interest for technology, and the flexibility and intuition to adapt your instructional style to suit a varied audience, using a mixture of theory and practice to give the best results. The trainer role requires you to easily connect with customers internally and externally, and to shape and reshape the training to fit the students’ need and level of knowledge. The job takes you away from home multiple times a year, 1-3 weeks at a time.
Previous practical knowledge of radar systems and similar types of training is beneficial. Previous military experience or exposure is relevant but not essential.
The successful candidate will have the potential to grow the position as the business grows and will benefit from continuous training across the equipment spectrum.
- Plan and deliver operator and maintainer training courses
- Operate and fault-find on Customer systems to enable training
- Solicit, compile, analyse and react to student feedback, internally and externally
- Offer subject matter expert advice on system development
- Support to
- Other company market growth
- Administration and reporting of the running of training events as required
- Computer literate
- Knowledge of sophisticated electronic systems
- Full UK driving license
- Previous experience in a technical customer-facing environment demonstrating problem-solving and leadership in a high pressure environment
- Able to obtain UK Security Clearance up to SC
- During your employment you will handle tasks and materials that are classed as military secrets and therefore you must have a UK or Swedish citizenship
- Qualified to ONC / HNC level or equivalent experience in technical area
- Previous military experience
- Teaching/instructional experience
The candidate should:
- Be a motivated and critical thinking individual
- Be capable of working alone and arranging their own workload
- Have excellent interpersonal skills
- Be comfortable in a complex customer-facing environment