As Saab is building a new advanced manufacturing facility in West Lafayette, IN, we are seeking Senior Assemblers to build the aft fuselage for the U.S. Air Force new military trainer, the T-7A Red Hawk. To enable this new operation, an extensive transfer of knowledge and technology will take place from Saab’s facilities in Sweden to our new operation in Indiana – and that is where you come in! This unique career opportunity will include a short-term international assignment (3-6 months) to train in Sweden. While abroad, our team of Senior Assemblers will receive on-the-job training working on the T-7A aircraft. When returning to Indiana, the team will assemble the aircraft, train and lead new colleagues, and take on an active role in forming the state of the art production system.
After returning from training in Sweden, day-to-day tasks will include:
- Execute standardized working procedures to deliver 100% quality according to requirements to install systems and final mechanical assembly on the aircraft structure.
- Deliver work according to quality requirements and work instructions; implement the requirements in daily ways of working in a team-based environment.
- Support daily, incremental continuous improvement highlighting advancement opportunities in safety, quality, cost, delivery, and morale.
- Installation of tubing (hydraulic, fuel, air, cooling), doors and hatches.
- Installation and classification of power cables and electrical systems.
- Fastening of materials through swaging, soldering, and adhesive bonding.
- General mechanical assembly and installation as required, to support other team members.
- Ability to complete functional testing of assemblies and systems.
- Handling of “Class A” surfaces which includes touch-up painting.
- Sign off when work is complete according to specification.
- Support the training and transfer knowledge to new employees.
Saab provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, vision, dental, life and disability insurance, 401(k) retirement savings program, tuition assistance, and generous paid time off. Compensation will be determined based on each candidate’s prior experience and skill level. These positions will be eligible for milestone/completion bonuses to be paid out over the first two years of employment.
Note: This advertisement is for the second group of Assemblers and it is required to train in Sweden fulltime for 3-6 months. While we feel this is an exciting opportunity, many excellent, qualified individuals may not be willing or able to commit to an international assignment. If that’s you, that’s okay! Please hold onto your resume and apply for one of our future Assembler postings, which will not require travel.
Skills and Experience:
- 7+ years of qualified mechanical experience in aeronautics or automotive manufacturing.
- High school degree or equivalent required.
- Technical degree or certification in the field of aviation assembly, mechanics, or maintenance is preferred.
- Experience in delivering high levels of quality in compliance with ISO/AS9100 a plus.
- Proficiency interpreting engineering drawings and specifications in written and digital format required.
- Ability to execute the appropriate working methods and select the right tools to meet the right level of quality and efficiency.
- Ability to work with standardized procedures for high repeatability in a highly advanced and connected environment.
- Excellent communication and team working skills.
- Ability to travel internationally and obtain a passport is required; it is preferred for candidates to have a valid passport prior to employment.
- Must be self-mobile and able to stand for extended periods.
- Ability to perform physical tasks such as sitting, bending, stooping, walking, climbing, reaching during a normal workday.
- Ability to perform repetitive motions (such as lifting or assembly of parts) including the use of hand held power tools.
- Ability to lift up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Hearing and vision within normal ranges is important for conversations, and to receive ordinary information and directives from Production Supervisors and management as required.
- Ability to work extended hours when required.
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 17,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, disability status, or any other federal, state, or locally protected category.