Saab UK is a British company that is part of Saab Group’s global high-technology operations. Saab offers world-leading solutions and services in defence, aviation, space and civil security. In the UK we bring together the best of Swedish and British innovation and engineering to provide our customers with products and solutions that push boundaries for what is considered technically possible. Our mission is to help our customers to keep people and society safe.
Our Saab UK business is going through a period of rapid growth, this means that we can offer a wide range of opportunities for personal fulfilment and career growth. As part of the global entity Saab AB, Saab UK Ltd combines the innovative spirit of a start-up with the resources and expertise of a larger corporation. Across the country we have seven principle sites which focus on software engineering, underwater robotics, training services and radars. Globally we number over 19,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and we reinvest a high proportion of our earnings in internal research and development. We collaborate with colleagues around the world who all share our challenge – to make the world a safer place.
Saab is a company with opportunities, a company where we see diversity as an asset and where you have both considerable responsibility as well as good opportunities for advancing in your career. Additionally, Saab is a company that respects each person’s needs for a rewarding life beyond work.
You should be comfortable in working with the team to understand and interpret user and customer needs and design drivers, be confident in proposing novel concepts and ideas, and have the technical skills to communicate, design and deliver them.
You will be working in a multidisciplinary environment so strong communication is important. Your background is practical with an ability to think beyond the conventional. Good experience of lightweight materials and manufacturing processes (including plastics, composites & additive manufacture (AM) is highly desirable.
- Design and development of novel fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft, from concept to flight test.
- 6 years’ experience with Solidworks CAD / PDM, including advanced lofting / surfacing and 2D technical drawing.
- Design for manufacture / assembly / test, product design.
- Rapid prototyping using additive layer, plastic moulding and composite production techniques. This also includes manual prototyping.
- Systems architecture design, electronics integration design.
- Design and integration of avionics, flight control systems, sensors, propulsion systems, RF datalinks and payload subsystems.
- Experience with aerodynamic analysis (CFD and VLM / panel methods), flight performance, stability and control.
- Experience with structural analysis (FEA and hand calculations).
- Flight test planning, operations and analysis.
- Work package / technical lead, multi-disciplinary technical point of contact.
- Administrating and training staff in Solidworks.
- Overseeing and managing design data and engineering processes for the department, including engineering process development.
- Project management, time / cost / resource management.
- Experience with the full engineering lifecycle (requirements capture, concept design, detailed design, manufacture, test).
- Technical report writing and presentation.
- Project bidding, technical bid writing and costing, roadmap development.
- Customer engagement, networking and requirements capture.
- Collaboration with suppliers / partners as technical point of contact for procurement, manufacture and integration.
- Experience with Agile-Scrum / Kanban management techniques.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- To actively participate in Performance Management Scheme.
- To undertake such other duties and responsibilities as may be reasonably required within the grade and level of the post.
- You will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your evolving role within the company and the overall business objectives of the company. Some travel within the UK may be required.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties. You will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your evolving role within the company and the overall business objectives of the company.