Senior Software Engineer
We have a vacancy for a Senior Software Engineer. This position requires an individual who would be able to use a systematic, disciplined, quantifiable approach to the development, operation and maintenance of software in a team context; that is the application of engineering to software utilizing a team of developers.
- Must be able to act as a technical team leader
- Ownership and accountability for team delivery
- Inputs into hardware tools needed to do software projects
- Inputs into software tools required to do software development
- Must be able to break down a software project in smaller deliverable building blocks with the estimated labour to complete
Business Process Management
- The emphasis in this role is to take leadership for complete software delivery utilising a team of software engineers
- Ability to participate in a leading role (Scrum master) in Agile Development environment
- Responsible for and input into Software development plan (SDP), Software Requirements Analysis (SRS), architectural design documentation (SDD), Software Test Plan (STP), Cost Estimations, Software project planning, Software project enactment
- Provide leadership, guidance and support for software programs with RTCA/DO178 certification requirements.
- Notifies project and line managers of risks, issues, problems, concerns, observations that could impact on the quality and/or schedule of the software project
- Participate and contribute to software process improvement (SPI)
- Ensure document traceability as required in the software development plan
- Requirements reviews as specified in the software development plan and management system (MS)
- Ability to fulfil a software architect roll, giving definition on how all the elements fits together on a project and into other common platforms
- Proven Software re-use mind-set (object orientated design, containers, micro services)
- Understands the tools, languages, compilers and development environment
- If relevant, develops a detail understanding of the target hardware
- Follow coding standards as specified in the software development plan
- Code reviews, static code analysis as specified in the software development and test plans
- Support system level software testing and integration
- Test readiness reviews as specified in the software development plan and MS
Client and Vendor Management
- Maintain effective relations with SI (System Integration group), Product Management, Production and Program Office
- Strong C programming skills
- Proven track record in software engineering
- Experience in RTCA/DO178 certification.
- Proven track record building generic reusable embedded software.
- Can be classified as an expert in certain discipline in the software domain
- Proficiency in software engineering rolls, e.g. software configuration management, issue tracking, change management, etc.
- Experience in industry standards and best practice in software architecture and design
- DevOps, pipelines and CI knowledge and experience
- Successful participation in RTCA/DO178 certification
- Experience in an architect role for embedded systems (airborne)
- Low level HW bring up and integration experience essential
- BEng (Computer or Electronic, BSc (Computer Science) or equivalent
What you will be a part of
Saab is a global company with operations and employees in about 40 countries around the world. Through innovative, collaborative and pragmatic thinking, Saab constantly develops, adopts and improves new technology to meet customers’ changing needs.
Saab Grintek Defence is a business unit operating within South Africa. The business unit is focused on design, development, integration, testing, documenting and deployment of products for aerospace and defence industries. This position is in the Engineering department.
If you aspire to help create and innovate whilst developing yourself in a challenging team setting, Saab may well have the perfect conditions for you to grow. We pride ourselves on a nurturing environment, where everyone is different yet we share the same goal – to help protect people.