Saab is a global high-technology company that offers world-leading solutions and services in defence, aviation, space and civil security. At Saab, we constantly look ahead and push boundaries for what is considered technically possible. We number over 17,000 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and more than 25% of our earnings are invested in research and development. We collaborate with colleagues around the world who all share our challenge – to make the world a safer place.
Saab is a company with opportunities. A company where we see diversity as an asset and where you have both considerable responsibility as well as good opportunities for advancing in your career. Additionally, Saab is a company that respects each person’s needs for a rewarding life beyond work.
You will be part of Public Safety Solutions (PSS), which develops advanced software applications and solutions for mission critical control room operations including for Police, Fire & Rescue and Airports. As an Operations Engineer you will provide technical support to customers, projects and development teams. Working with engineers based in both the UK and Sweden, to maintain and update SAFE and its related integrated systems and services. You will gain a comprehensive knowledge of the SAFE operating environment, configuration and core functionality, as well as deep expertise in system components and integrations. This is a fully remote position with the option of working from the Hull office. Occasional travel will be required to our customer sites.
How we work
A team of self-motivated individuals with the ability to work unsupervised supporting a mission critical service. Working to towards a 99.999% availability, our collaborative team follows a DevOps approach to provide a service with constantly evolving priorities and growing customer base. As a team, we are working on the goal of transforming in to Site Reliability Engineers (SRE). We are looking to expand this team with the addition of the right person that will both complement our existing skills and help us to grow through continuous improvement.
- Deploy, maintain and support SAFE operating environments for customers.
- Provide 2nd and 3rd line support to customers as part of service operations team.
- Maintaining on-premise and Cloud infrastructure, server builds, configurations and patching.
- Planning, testing and documentation of installations and changes.
- Advising projects and customers with technical matters and system troubleshooting relating to infrastructure, applications and environments.
- Be part of an on call weekly rotation shared across the Support and Operations teams.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in 3 or more of the following:
- Microsoft Windows Server
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Networking (Load balancing, Firewalls, TCP/IP)
- Linux (Debian or RHEL)
- Telephony/UC (SIP, ACD, VOIP)
- Active Directory (ADFS, domain management, users/groups, policies, certificates etc.)
- Infrastructure management and maintenance (Cloud, COTS hardware & Virtualisation)
- Good knowledge and experience of ITIL
- Experience of managing high availability environments and systems or with similar critical infrastructure delivery experience.
- Highly attentive with the ability to deal with changing priorities and context switching.
- A positive attitude to innovation, change and transformation are essential characteristics to be successful in this role.
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal.
Desirable, but not essential
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies, tools and ways of working.
- Experience and knowledge of CI/CD tools.
- Experience in scripting/coding (Python, C#, PowerShell).
- Experience of common automation tools (Terraform, Ansible).
- Experience with monitoring solutions (Nagios, Zabbix, NetCool, Icinga, Elastic).
- Previous experience of working in a DevOps environment.
If you aspire to help create and innovate whilst developing yourself in a challenging team setting, Saab may well have the perfect conditions for you to grow. We pride ourselves on a nurturing environment, where everyone is different yet we share the same goal – to help protect people.