Join us at Saab Seaeye in creating the most innovative robotic technology for the harshest environment in the deepest oceans and most turbulent waters.
We lead the world with the most advanced engineering, electronics and software systems for pioneering electric underwater technology.
We don’t just create products – we are revolutionising the underwater world. So come and be part of an innovative and agile team that is dedicated to smart and inspired technology that is rapidly changing the future of underwater robotics.
To lead a growing team of talented software engineers in the design, build and enhancement of diverse systems in a fast paced/challenging market sector. As Software Engineering manager you will be responsible for all aspects of the department from long term strategy to the day to day.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities:
- Set the direction of the department – Working with the Chief Engineer and Product Management identify and drive process improvement to ensure the team have clear and robust software development processes and ways of working which promote best practice for software releases. Provide guidance to establish stable core operating architecture which can be scaled across platforms onto which bespoke customer solutions can be added.
- Manage staffing levels – Ensure appropriate resource is available to meet demand through planning, recruitment, managing holiday requests, absence and overtime management. Conduct timely return to work interviews after any absence and manage staff according to company guidelines when attendance becomes unacceptable.
- Competencies - Build and maintain the correct level of competency in the department to meet company objectives by providing opportunities for growth and personal development through training and mentoring of new and existing staff. Conduct appraisals and monitor progress and training plans.
- Tools - Ensure the team has the latest tools available to meet objectives.
- Quality and standard – Responsible for the quality output of the department ensuring software is fully validated, documented and compliant with the company quality, HSE and Environmental policy and that designs comply with internationally recognised standards.
- Effective Leadership – Lead a high performing team by nurturing and enabling individuals to take ownership of tasks through empowerment and clear communications. Set the standard, tempo and culture of the team by example and ensure general staff welfare and morale.
- Performance – Being responsibility for the execution and performance of the department with regular reporting of Key Performance Indicators.
- Teamwork – Work closely with other departments/engineering disciplines enabling close collaboration throughout the organisation. Provide engineering support to the Technical Support and Manufacturing Groups when required and, when directed, address customer complaints related to software engineering
- Software Architecture Design and development for vehicle systems and components. Maintaining architectural vision for bespoke delivery modifications.
- Stakeholder management – communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders on software and department strategy.
- Change Management - Ensure that design changes and modifications do not compromise product safety or compliance to applicable standards and regulations.
- To undertake any other duties as appropriate within their competence, as required by their Manager from time to time
General accountabilities and responsibilities:
- To use personal judgement and initiative to develop effective and constructive solutions to challenges and obstacles in day to day activities and procedures within the specified role.
- To maintain personal ability in, and appropriate use of, all relevant IT (Information & Technology) and other systems required to adequately perform the role.
- To act ethically, with integrity and in the best interest of the business at all times.
- To maintain a professional and supportive relationship with team members and other departments in order to deliver business and delivery objectives or deadlines.
- To carry out any other duties as detailed by your Supervisor or Manager from time to time.
- To keep good time management to minimise any wasted time and maximise productivity and effectiveness.
Quality, health, safety and environment (QHSE)
- Cooperate with the company to achieve a healthy, safe and sustainable working environment
- Work in ways that ensure your own safety and that of others; “Do the right thing even when no one is looking.”
- Report any incidents, near misses or other health, safety and environmental concerns
- Deliver all products and services in line with Saab Seaeye quality standards to ensure we meet our customer requirements and highlight any quality concerns or potential improvements.