At Saab, we are constantly looking ahead and pushing boundaries on what´s considered technically possible. Saab is expanding in the UK and we are now seeking talented and highly motivated SW Developers to support the research and development of complex Electronic Warfare systems. If you are a seasoned SW Developer having experience in embedded software development, this is truly a unique opportunity.
The position is based in UK, but is open for all Saab employees with expat as a possible solution.
As part of the development team, you will collaborate closely with Systems, HW and RF engineers in the design and development of electronic warfare products. You will design, test, and document software with a level of rigor suitable for something that you really want to work without the slightest problem.
Essential functions will include but are not limited to:
- Proposing and implementing software architecture and designs for new functionality as part of a product development team
- Supporting test engineers with software development of test automation frameworks
- Writing well-structured, testable, efficient, and maintainable code
- Collaborating and adding value through participation in peer code reviews, providing comments and suggestions
- Tailoring and deploying software tools, processes and metrics
- Providing support for board bring-up and product design validation
- Participate in project leadership and/or program planning including providing technical input to product development plans and concept documents
- Contribute to advanced technical research on new technologies
- Proficient in C/C++
- Previous experience with embedded development
- Experience in complex software systems with agile development methodologies
- Ability to review schematics and read data-sheets; experience supporting hardware bring-ups and debugging
- Great collaboration skills
- Excellent communication skills in English, verbal and written
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in software engineering, mathematical or science-based subject or equivalent working experience.
- Experience in SW development related to RF/Modem technologies considered as an advantage
- Experience in other programming languages such as Java, Python or similar
- Experience from military and/or aerospace technologies considered as an advantage
- Basic understanding of avionics SW development and RTCA DO-178B/C philosophy is seen as a plus
- Good understanding of software development lifecycle and experience in DevOps culture is seen beneficial
- Ability to prototype and provide Proof of Concepts
This position has tasks including defence secrecy. It therefore requires you to conduct and receive an approved security clearance by responsible authorities.
What you will be a part of
You will be part of Saab´s Technology Centre based in Farnborough. In your role as SW developer you will report to the EW programme lead as well as the Head of the Technology Centre.
Saab AB is a global defence and security company in the fields of air, land and naval defence, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number 17,400 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one fourth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab UK has operational footprints in London, Farnborough, Westbury, Tilshead, Brecon, Catterick, Lympstone, Fareham and Hull and in line with Saab’s Strategic Plan regarding “Operational Countries” the ambition is to grow this footprint.
Saab is also a company with opportunities. A company where we see diversity as an asset and where you have both considerable responsibility and good opportunities for advancing in your career. But also a company that respects each person’s needs for a rewarding life beyond work.
If you aspire to help create and innovate whilst developing yourself in a challenging team setting, Saab may well have the perfect conditions for you to grow. We pride ourselves on a nurturing environment, where everyone is different yet we share the same goal – to help protect people.